5 Star Dinner at The Maisonette, October 2, 2002
On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, Wendy and I had the pleasure of dining at The Maisonette, Cincinnati’s 5-star restaurant and the recipient of Mobil Travel Guide’s 5-Star Award for the past 38 consecutive years (longer than any other restaurant in the world).
Our host was Pat Berry of 55KRC radio. The guests of honor were Kitty Morgan — editor of Cincinnati Magazine and Charles Desmarais — Director of the Contemporary Arts Center. We were joined by Gary Burbank of 700WLW radio.
We dined at the Maisonette as part of their “5 Star Dinner” program, which honors Cincinnatians who have made major contributions to the quality of life in the Cincinnati area. This was the fifth (of six) dinners at the Maisonette hosted by Pat Barry. On Pat’s show, he holds a contest to select members of his listening community to join him at the restaurant. I called in and won.Â
Nat Comisar, third-generation manager of the restaurant and Bertrand Bouquin, executive chef, greeted us at the beginning of the meal.
And what a meal it was! We enjoyed a specially prepared 6-course menu. The menu follows:
- Amuse Bouche
- Crab Salad with Tomato Consomme, Avacado, Lemon, Fava Bean, Black Olive, and Purple Basil
- Celery, Apple, and Chestnut Soup with Duck Confit and Black Truffle Coulis
- Pan-Seared Diver Scallops, Topped with Foie Gras, Grapes, Chanterelles, and Chicken Jus
- Sauteed Red Snapper with Roasted Salsify, Onion Compote, Mushroom Fricassee, and Veal Jus
- Rack of Lamb with Tomato Crust, Chickpea Crepe with Broccoli Rabe and Braised Radish
- Apple Upside Down Cake, Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Each course was paired with a complimentary wine. Wendy and I have enjoyed the wine program at the Maisonette as long as we’ve been dining there. Their pairings are always right on the mark, never overshadowing the food but rather complimenting it wonderfully.
The service at the Maisonette remains impeccable, present without being overbearing, knowledgable without being condescending, and courteous almost to a fault.
Dinner conversation was lively and very enjoyable. Pat is an excellent host, and made everyone at the table feel comfortable.
Thank you to the Maisonette, 55KRC, and Pat Barry for allowing Wendy and I to join you for this wonderful dinner!